Taylor-madebaby

Welcome to our blog for keeping family and friends up to date on the latest Clemmer-family news, and all the ramblings of a stay-at-home mom trying to stay sane among all the craziness!

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Childlike understanding

My nephew ,who's almost 3, has reached the stage where he's really talking (even though we can't always understand him), and he's constantly asking questions. Usually they're the typical "why?" or "what you doin'?" over and over again. Last night when he was up to visit, someone told me "you'll have to get used to that!" and it made me a little sad to realize that as adults, we quickly get frustrated with the endless questions and don't want to bother to take the time to answer (again and again).

I just read something recently about children and how they're born with innate curiosity - that they learn continually because they're so fascinated with the world around them. However, that curiosity doesn't seem to last and kids quickly go from asking questions to hating school, making learning a chore and reading something that many kids dread. I wonder how much of that has to do with our role in fostering their interest. When we, frustrated and exhausted with the "why's" and "how's," turn to them and say "I've told you already!" or "just because!" instead of taking a deep breath and responding with a real answer, I wonder how quickly that helps children learn to shut off their inquisitive nature.

So, while right now I can seem to answer the unending questions of my nephew, I hope I remember when my own starts in on me with "why, why, why," that I can take the time to really listen and hear not just an annoying question, but an opportunity to open a world of learning for my son. As parents, we have the chance to influence the type of people our kids grow up to be, and I would much rather create a child who takes a hold of their own education and learns to love learning!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger PuffaStogie said…

    Brianne, Yes this is advice, to help give a child a lifelong yearn for learning check out this website...

    The Institutes is a nonprofit educational organization that serves children by introducing parents to the field of early child development. Parents learn how to enhance significantly the development of their children physically, intellectually and socially in a joyous and sensible way.

    http://www.iahp.org/

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home