Taylor-madebaby

Welcome to our blog for keeping family and friends up to date on the latest Clemmer-family news, and all the ramblings of a stay-at-home mom trying to stay sane among all the craziness!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Old magazines DO come in handy!

Years ago I started subscribing to Health Magazine. I never stopped to think about it, but every so often I would receive a renewal notice in the mail. Since I enjoyed the magazine, I would fill it out and send it in. Before I knew it, Brian pointed out to me that I had pre-paid for a subscription that would last me until 2007! Well, I haven't made that mistake again, and although I enjoy the magazine, with baby Seth on the way, it makes more sense to let the subscription run out and pick up a new magazine like Parenting or MomSense. Not to mention that I hardly have time to read them anyway!

Speaking of not having time... since my old Health magazines have been piling up, I've been trying to go through them and get rid of them when I'm done. If there's an article I like, I'll tear it out to keep but toss the magazine in full. Big space saver. Haven't quite figured out how to neatly store the torn out articles though, but that's another issue entirely!

When I was going through an old July/August 2005 issue (I know, I'm a little behind), I found a little blurb that made me think "Hallelujah!" Here is what it said:

Note to doc: Pain-relief, please, and step on it
Women giving birth sometimes hold off on asking for an epidual because of warnings that the pain-relieving procedure may prolong labor or make a C-section more likely. But that isn't true. According to a new North-western University study of 750 women, patients who get epidurals at the first request for a pain relief actually seem to have shorter labors (by roughly 80 minutes) than those who get morphine-like painkillers - the usual remedy to tide women over until an epidural. In other words, unless a natural birth is important to you, there's no need to grimace and bear it.

Now, as much as I admire those who can do it without an epidural, I'm not brave enough to see if I can make it without. The way I see it, God gave us the smarts to think up this wonderful medicine, and as long as there's no bad side effects or horrible risks, I'm afraid I'm still rooting for the epidural. Now you watch, since I've said that, the anesthesiologist will be busy and won't be able to get to me until it's too late...

1 Comments:

  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Robyn said…

    I have to admit, most of the reason I went w/o it was to see if I could handle it. I like to experience new things :)

    It does hurt though. They were serious about that. LOL Funny though, one of my friends from GA determined she wasn't going to feel any pain (we all laughed at her of course) and she said she only felt 'mild discomfort'. I haven't figured that one out yet.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home