Taylor-madebaby

Welcome to our blog for keeping family and friends up to date on the latest Clemmer-family news, and all the ramblings of a stay-at-home mom trying to stay sane among all the craziness!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Learning how to have a baby

Well, we are officially becoming educated on how to have a baby! Brian and I started our "childbirth preparedness" class just last night. I wasn't sure what I expected, although I was a little skeptical since the enrollment papers they sent us told us to bring two pillows and a blanket. Not really sure how I felt about the thought of being on the floor doing breathing exercises with a bunch of strangers.

The good news is that once we got there and class started, I quickly warmed up to the teacher. Thanks to a good friend for recommending that we sign up specifically for her class! Our instructor has obviously been doing this for many years and knew just how to put us all at ease. We spent just a little time in pairs of couples to get to know each other briefly, which went really well for us (at least I thought). You know how sometimes you'll get put in that kind of situation and no one wants to "go first?" Well, let's just say we didn't have that problem. Even though there was an obvious age difference between Brian and I and the couple we were paired with, also they had two children already from previous marriages, we had no trouble picking up a conversation!

After that, the instruction part began, and it was really interesting. Like I've said before in earlier posts, the farther along I get the more I realize I don't know! The funny thing is that if you asked me to repeat anything from the class, the first thing that comes to mind is that she told us that people who know how to evaluate these kinds of things had determined that a woman in labor extends the same amount of energy as if you were to play two football games back to back with no breaks. I told Brian to remember that!

The funny thing to me was that after this class, not only am I really looking forward to going back, but I feel even more comfortable about the whole "labor" thing. Now, ask me again how I feel after we watch the dreaded birth video and I may have changed my mind! I'm still thinking an epidural is the way to go, but at least I'm not getting nauseous whenever I think of having this baby like I would have years ago!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home