Taylor-madebaby

Welcome to our blog for keeping family and friends up to date on the latest Clemmer-family news, and all the ramblings of a stay-at-home mom trying to stay sane among all the craziness!

Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving lunch, and dinner, and leftovers

Well, Thanksgiving has passed and it went off pretty well as far as I can tell. No one got sick, nothing got burned, and everyone seemed to have a pretty good time. Good news for a first-time host! Brian and I hosted the family Thanksgiving lunch at our house this year, and I'm pleased to say that I think we did pretty well. Don't get me wrong, we didn't do all of the cooking or anything like that! But we did manage to get out house cleaned and by the time everyone had brought whatever dish they were bringing, we had more food than we knew what to do with! Let's just say that we'll be eating leftovers for a while - but hey, it keeps me from having to cook!

We had 16 people over - with us that makes 18. Considering our kitchen table only seats 6, the rest of us ate in the living room on folding TV trays. The good news - we didn't have any spills, drips, or ground-in crumbs on the carpet or sofa! (which I have to say really surprises me, not because any of us are particularly clumsy or messy, but when you have a house full of almost 20 people, stuff like that just happens...) Unfortunately, my sister and her family didn't make it - that would have added another 4, but they had conflicting family schedules and had to be at my brother-in-law's family for their dinner.

That's one thing that makes me really sad at the holidays - being apart from family. Brian and I have to juggle three families, two of which are out-of-town: one in VA, one in NC, and one in TX. It makes it hard being away from any one of them, but obviously there's only so much time you have during the holidays, and so much money for travel! Even when you're not spread out like that, there's still the question of who's set of parent's do you visit, or do you try to get them all in?

I remember growing up, we would have Thanksgiving lunch at one grandparents house and then Thanksgiving dinner at the other's. Talk about being stuffed! And when Christmas rolled around, we did Christmas Eve with one set of family and Christmas morning at home, then Christmas lunch with the other set of family. It's fun, but it does make for an exhausting holiday!

I just hope that once our kids come along we can find a happy medium between traveling to see family and having our own holiday traditions. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the next few years bring!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home